Tuesday, August 14, 2012

a how-to on all things fabulous

Pin It
Part of repurposing and upcylcing successfully, is figuring out what you love and don't love about a garment.  For instance, I had a strapless top in my closet that I really loved... but never wore.  Someone had given it to me, and I loved the pattern of the fabric and I loved the pockets, but I didn't ever feel comfortable wearing it strapless.  I am built like a ten year old boy, so I wasn't exactly filling it out properly.I decided to keep the best of the garment and eliminate the part that wasn't working for me, and by doing so, I was able to repurpose the fabric to make items that are both adorable, and available on my etsy shop. :)

Here's how it all went down...

I started with what I liked about this top, which was really the bottom half because I wanted to make it into a skirt.  By removing the top part right above the elastic, I had a skirt that would be a modest length and had great angled pockets on the sides.



So, I removed the top part and then removed the buttons.


I was able to use the removed fabric to make several pieces (clips) that could later be worn with or without  the skirt.  I also added two of the buttons to accentuate the pockets that I liked so much.







This takes the guesswork out of putting an outfit together... because I just had to throw on whatever shirt I liked and all the pieces came together!  I chose to pair my new skirt with my brother's polo shirt that he wore in grade school.  (Perfect for the aforementioned body type, no?)




And there you have it.  I felt like I was a 50's bowling alley worker.  Shockingly, I considered that a total success!  What I love about these clips is how versatile they are.  Here are some different ways to get the most use out of one piece. 










No comments:

Post a Comment